Monday, June 03, 2019

Facebook Observations

For the past few months, when able, I've been trying to post a daily Bible verse and sometimes a funny meme on my Facebook. Most of the time, I do not include any text. While I did not do it for any other purpose than to share God's Word and to add a little lightheartedness to my friend's newsfeeds, there have been general observations that has led to interesting conversations in my family.

Two people, lifelong friends and atheists, ended their friendship with me because they could not stand seeing the verses every day. I chose to ignore years worth of the hate filled venom they spewed about politics, religion, our shared hometown, shared friends, etc, but me sharing Bible verses was the last straw for them. 

Another person unfriended me. I was confused as to why. His wife approached me weeks later and said it was because the verses convicted him about how he was treating his family. He was cheating on her and spending money the family needed on his girlfriend. When she confronted him, he put her in the hospital. She has since separated, filed domestic abuse charges against him, got a protective order, and now they are going through a divorce. He has completely turned from the Lord and is living a wayward lifestyle. 

As I shared Bible verses to build up and encourage my friends who were going through very trying circumstances, some incorrectly assumed it was about my family. That's normal, and I anticipated it. However, that also opened doors when friends who gained something from those verses shared with me difficulties they had kept hidden from everyone. They confided in me because God's Word spoke to them. That's allowed me to minister to them by checking in on them frequently to let them know I care. Btw, calendar reminders, phone alarms, and lists are very useful tools for ministry.

As I continued to share Bible verses, I noticed some of my friends started to share a Bible verse every day too! Many of them have continued doing it. Your boldness in sharing God's Word can lead others to be bold in sharing the Word. Be a trendsetter for godly things!

I left the Bible verses open to public, and they were often shared. This resulted in me making new Christian friends. 

One of my children noted that verses I shared that proclaimed God's goodness to us got more likes and shares than verses or quotes that command us to obey God. 

We also noticed the memes would get more reactions and comments than the verses. 

Why do you think people, especially self proclaimed Christians, would rather interact with a lame "not really funny" meme than a meme that shares a truth from the Almighty God? The humorous meme has no value, but the Word of God changes us and will stand forever. 

More food for thought:

"More than one-fifth of respondents admit they have not had a spiritual conversation at all in the past year. Six in 10 say they had a spiritual conversation only on rare occasions — either “once or twice” (29 percent) or “several times” (29 percent) in the past year. A paltry 7 percent of Americans say they talk about spiritual matters regularly." Read more at the source.  

Dear reader, I encourage you to share God's Word with those in your real life and those in your social media life. Your Bible verse might be the only real Truth some of them ever see! Your efforts may help change someone's eternity. Sometimes we get the privilege of leading others to salvation through Jesus, but many times, we are sowing seeds. Keep in mind that a lot who claim to know Christ do not really know Him. (Matthew 7:21-23) I don't want anyone I know to miss out on what God has in store for those who accept His free gift of salvation.


For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 
Hebrews 4:12


Remain alert. Keep standing firm in your faith. 
Keep on being courageous and strong. 
1 Corinthians 16:13

For this reason, although I have great boldness in Christ 
to command you to do what is right.
Philemon 1:8