Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Lord, I am coming!

My heart has heard you say, 
'Come and talk with me.' 
And my heart responds, 
'Lord, I am coming.'
Psalm 27:8


"God calls me. In a deeper sense than any other species of earthbound creature, I am called. And in a deeper sense I am free, for I can ignore the call. I can turn a deaf ear. I can say that no call came. I can deny that God called or even that God exists. What a gift of amazing grace--that the One who made me allows me to deny His existence! God created em with the power to disobey, for the freedom to obey would be nothing at all without the corresponding freedom to disobey. I can answer no, or I can answer yes. My fulfillment as a human being depends on my answer, for it is a loving Lord who calls me through the world's fog to His island of peace. If I trust Him, I will obey Him gladly." -Elisabeth Elliot Discipline: The Glad Surrender

I was recently included in a conversation where a Christian shared how God told them to reach out to another Christian while they were having a tough time agreeing on a church issue. The other person admitted they felt God leading them too, but they did not respond because they were afraid and had other things to do. Both felt the Lord calling them to do something. Only one acted as a servant of the Most High. The other served his self by allowing his fear and excuses to control him. Whom we obey reveals whom we serve.

Dear Reader, may we be closely acquainted with the Lord. May we desire to please Him so much that we respond to His call quickly. May He speak to our hearts often, and, as faithful servants, may we readily answer and obey.