Friday, July 22, 2022

Food poisoning made me thankful all over again...

I contracted food poisoning from frozen strawberries. I was extremely violently ill for several hours. Poor Clint was beside himself! After I had forcefully vomited the 20th time, I could no longer stand up to get to the bathroom. We had to keep the trashcan beside where I was resting in the bed. The experience was easier than when I was carrying babies and had severe hyperemesis gravidarum, but it was still a miserable experience with some lingering effects.

I am thankful for the food poisoning. 

The experience was so torturous that I reflected back on my pregnancies. At one point, Clint and I thought my throat had torn along the same tear (Mallory Wiess tear) I had during my pregnancies which was a bit scary. That bleeding can continue the cycle of vomiting and can be a bit hard to stop. BUT, it was good to reminisce about what I had been through to bring my children into the world. 

Two days later: 

My stomach is better, but it is still touchy. I am very careful about what I ingest.

My throat is raw, and I can barely speak.

My abdomen is so sore I still can't move without wincing. I am going to go exercise in the pool later today to see if I can work the soreness out of my body. 

It took me 24 hours of electrolytes to get my body to feel almost back to normal. I'm still not quite right, but those who know me well know I am never "quite right." :-) 

All I have been able to think about is "HOW did I survive this day in and day out for months at a time over and over for years of my life?" 

I have only one answer. 

"Because of Jesus!"

Dear Reader, I am so thankful for the strength and determination He abundantly supplied to enable me to have my children..both the living and the ones with Him. Today at 53 years old, nine years since I have carried a baby in my womb, I stand renewed with amazement at what He brought me through to give me the blessing of my children. I could not have done that on my own. It was Jesus! What difficult experiences have you looked back on and have been thankful for God carrying you through?

Joking: Athletes, if you want to impress me, get your body into condition to not be sore after throwing up 20+ times a day. I was there in my younger years. It would hurt for the first couple of weeks of pregnancy, and then my muscles were good to go. Vomiting repeatedly is a rough workout, and I am feeling it today.

Seriously: If you have hyperemesis gravidarum, I am praying for you and your baby. It's a tough battle. If you need a friend and prayer warrior, please email me at the email in the header.