Monday, January 28, 2013

Homeschool Tip: Increase Learning Through "Posters"

Photobucket

When we are learning about a topic, I will put up "posters" in our kitchen or bathroom to help the children learn. This particular set included approximately a dozen posters spread throughout our kitchen and covered orchestras, the difference between an orchestra and a band, instrument names, and different types of instruments. 

What I expect to accomplish with the posters depends on whether it is to increase general knowledge or a skill. I did not expect them to master the seating arrangements in an orchestra, but wished to build upon their knowledge in that area. Mastery is required of the posted spelling lists of which they must learn four of each night to keep their later bedtime. Each word is worth 15 additional minutes. They study these posters as they pass through the kitchen, take a bathroom or drink break from their studies, do a chore, or just hang out in the kitchen with me when I am cooking or cleaning.

I got the idea to put visual learning aids in common areas of our home from the book Cheaper by the Dozen which I read early in my homeschooling years. The book is much, much different than the movie. I highly recommend the book if you want to see what life was like inside of a family with twelve children, like to laugh, and want to pick up some useful tips from Frank and Lillian Gilbreth who were time and efficiency experts. 

Psalm 39:4-5  "Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath.