Saturday, February 06, 2021

Curling Puppy Ears

zippy

This is an AKC chihuahua with championship bloodlines. The owner did not want the ears to bend at the tip, so I helped correct them.

When I bred German Shepherds, I learned from a vet how to keep their ears from flopping so they had that desirable pointy-eared look. My experience has taught me that if I catch it sooner, it corrects with less effort than if I wait. Also, the younger puppies seem to ignore the tape better than the older ones. They are easier to distract after application, and then they seem to forget about them.

One can correct an undesirable ear with masking tape. I simply fold the ear loosely in half and then tape. Some people use cones and others use cardboard, but my method has worked very well for me. 

Some people recommend using super glue (DON'T DO THIS!!!!), but that heats up after it is exposed to air and can damage the skin and the fur. Masking tape is less messy, cheap, easy to apply, comes off on its own, doesn't damage the skin or the fur, and can be reapplied easily, if necessary. 

I used painter's tape because it what was available in the pup's home. It is less adhesive and is easy to remove like masking tape, so it is a better choice than duct tape which can leave a sticky residue, remove a lot of fur, and has caused infections.

It's not just a cosmetic thing. Ears that are up dry out after baths/swimming easier and are less likely to get infections. 

Of course, there's nothing like hugging a floppy eared beagle who greets you with a tap dance and a "so happy to see you song" as soon as you open your bedroom door in the morning. My granddog is the beagle who does this every weekday. She has anxiety issues, so she stays with me while my son is working. I love her big floppy ears! She does get yeast infections in her ears (otomycosis) about once or twice a year though. Juice from minced garlic (big jars in grocery store) kills it quickly.