Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Killdeer and a Buttercup

killdeer1

killdeer2
acrylic on 8x10 canvas panel

I can clearly remember the day and place my late grandmother Elsie Harrell Bailey taught me about killdeer which is also known as "the broken wing bird." We were visiting a cousin's new waterfront house he had built himself when she pointed a killdeer out to me. She taught me how the little mother distracted predators from the nest to protect her children. I think of her every time I see one of these birds.

My sweet paternal grandmother would have been 102 today. She overcame 96 years on this earth. Her nickname was Buttercup which is what she called daffodils. She had a plaque in her kitchen with painted daffodils that said "Buttercup's Kitchen." She grew a huge garden well into her 80s and gave her produce to everyone who visited. She hugged nearly everyone who stopped by and let so many crab and fish from her pier on Bailey Creek in Chesapeake. One of my favorite memories is her and grandpa walking me to the garden to see if there were any strawberries. From the time I was a little one on up, she would wind the Cuckoo clock grandpa brought home from Germany after WW2 so I could see and hear the bird.

I want to add some daffodils to the picture, but I am afraid I will mess it up.

Dear Reader, Memories are precious gifts from God that can help us get through some very hard things. That's why it is so important we make the time to make them with each other. Happy Memory Making!