Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Are you showing grace or reacting with injured pride?

About twelve years ago, I was reconnected with a friend I grew up with. We did not see each other after I married and moved in 1988. As we caught up, she told me she became very rebellious as an older teen and lived a "hell on wheels" lifestyle. She abused her body and her relationships and had some bad consequences as a result. The most touching part of her story was put this way. "I do not know how my mama put up with me. I did terrible things to her and know it was hard for her to see what I was doing to myself. I know I brought great shame to her. But, she kept on loving me no matter how I behaved."

Dear Reader, I know her mother very well and remember when she came to know the Lord. I also know that her mother chose to respond with grace rather than react to injured pride (and fear for her child's well being) because that is exactly what Jesus did for her...and for me...and for you. Remembering what debts were paid for ourselves, let's resolve to work harder to respond with grace instead of reacting with pride when others disappoint or hurt us.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. Romans 5:10