Monday, September 27, 2021

2a

My family knows I admire our local artist, Chuck Dickerson, and have been trying to get me a painting for many years. Chuck paints on sidewalks in our small rural town. This wouldn't be a big deal, except Chuck has two prosthetic arms due to an injury when he was a young man. (If you search Google for Chuck Dickerson artist, you will find his story.)

Every time my family would see Chuck, he had already sold the painting he was working on. Caleb had tried many times. Clint had tried hard too. I had given up hope of obtaining one.

Clint and Caleb had asked me what type I wanted. Chuck did too when I wrote him trying to figure out where he'd be so I could buy a painting. I told them I wanted a mountain scene with water.

Clint was on his way to me after having sold something from our farm. That meant he had cash, and it happened to be just enough cash in his pocket. Clint was not traveling in Chuck's usual area, so he was surprised to see him standing outside of a gas station painting.

Clint turned around and went back to Chuck. Chuck was painting just what I had asked for...

a mountain scene with water. 

Clint told me when he gave the painting to me: "I am convinced the Lord wanted you to have THIS painting. It is exactly what you wanted. Chuck was in a different area and so was I. He was also in just the right spot I could see him. And, I had the right amount of cash in my pocket to get it for you. God wanted YOU to have THIS painting, Wendy." 

I will remember that when I look at it. I will also remember how my family tried so hard for so long to get me a painting from Chuck. Last, but not least, I will remember the artist who has endured so much and found a way to make beauty from ashes.

Clint told him he wanted the painting for me. Chuck signed it, and Clint brought it home still wet from being on the easel.