Saturday, September 18, 2021

Do the Math: The Sequel

I am a home economizer and also run some side hustles to help cover the costs to feed our livestock. I pay attention to the bottom line because I do not like to do things that are wasteful with my time or money. I want my efforts to directly bless my family and friends. I also help keep an eye out for others who have very tight budgets. With so many mouths to feed, my food budget can get 💥 blown wide open 💥 without diligence in accounting.

The canned dog food I purchase for my old lady dogs went from .58 to .98 a can. That is a 68% increase. There is also a shortage of pet food in my area. Our community is helping each other find where it is on the shelves and some are donating pet food to those who have been unable to find it. I love that about where I live!! People here have such big hearts for one another. 

The bottled water I purchase went from $3.38 to $4.38 a case. That is a 29% increase.

The spaghetti sauce I purchase went from .88 to $1.28 which is a 45% increase. The price on this jumped to 1.34, went back down to .88, and then went to 1.28 over a two-week period. The same brand offers another variety for the original .88 price, so check the prices on the same brand varieties carefully. You may find a cheaper option.

The article I linked to below says poultry only went up 6.6%. I am not seeing that in my grocery budget even when I purchase legs and thighs (up 23%).

The dehydrated mashed potatoes I purchase have gone up 47% from what they were just a little over a year ago.

Bacon went up 56%. 

Strawberries (2 pounds) went up from 4.98 to 7.79 for a thrifty friend of mine who lives in the midwest. That is a 56% increase. She is buying frozen now which has not increased as much.

Butter was $2.12 and is now $2.96. That's a 39% increase. I price compared with other stores and found it cheaper, so I will switch to buying it from there.

A good friend in NC of mine shared a picture of two rib-eye steaks that were priced $58. TIP: He reported it was cheaper to buy the meal with a slightly smaller portion already cooked at a local restaurant for $14 a plate.

Birthday week. The frosting I usually buy went from .88 to 1.25. That's a 42% increase.

I could go on with more examples, but you get the point. The information on how much grocery prices have supposedly gone up varies from article to article, but I have yet to find one that even comes close.

Conversations I have had with different people show me that many do not realize exactly how much prices are going up. They accept the 3% or 5% they hear and do not think further. I am encouraging you to do the math so you will be accurately informed. 

I am not encouraging you to hoard (greedily panic buy an excess during a time where everyone is needing resources-think pre-hurricane) but to add a little extra of your favorite foods each week to soften the blow to your budget and to be in a position to help others. A little at a time adds up much faster than you might think.

Helping Others: Know any large families? Ask them if they need you to pick up anything that has a harsh limit on it. Our local store has a two box limit on spaghetti. It easily takes four boxes in a family of seven growing and very active (play, farm chores, sports) children. That fed everyone and made a little for leftovers. I would often cook six boxes to give us another meal of baked spaghetti later in the week.  

Consider this article from September 14, 2021: "Grocery shoppers could be feeling even more of a pinch on their wallets in the checkout line as supermarket giant Kroger says food prices will soon soar." https://tinyurl.com/ufp9sm2d

Dear Reader, That article says another 3% increase. Over the last year, I have yet to calculate a single price and have it come anywhere near the figures they are giving us. With very rare exceptions, I have seen double digits on everything I have checked, and I check several prices each week. I wish I had only seen 3-6%. I certainly hope it is only 3% more. After what I have seen though, I am not banking on it and neither should you. My love to all!

Jesus practicing frugality and stewardship:

When they were filled, He said to His disciples, “Gather up the leftover fragments so that nothing will be lost. John 6:12