Thursday, December 15, 2022

The Kitchen

fauxfinishoncabinets

My golden oak kitchen cabinets are about 10-12 years old. I could find the receipt and calculate the exact date, but I feelin' lazy. They were looking pretty rough the last few years, but I put up with them because we were working on other projects. We are still working on one big project, but I got fed up with the kitchen and started doing something about it.

To faux finish my kitchen would have cost $7500 due to the number of cabinets and the trim work I have and how many steps were involved. That also includes the price for the hardware. I've done without knobs and handles all this time. I can do all of it myself for under $250. So that is what I am doing. 

I'd rather leave them white (it really made the kitchen bright and clean looking-which I love) or another light solid color, 

BUT, 

I have a large family. A large family means things don't stay new looking for long. I know the white would get stains on it in short order, so I gathered ideas and settled on this one. For good or bad, this is what I am doing with my time today.

I truly do not know if I will like it once it is done. The color of the cabinets in the kitchen is not about having my way. It's about what works best for the good of the family. 

At least it will hide the grease monkey stains several members of our gang leave all over everything. And, no, that is not a complaint. I am very proud of them for having the skills to do things themselves. Having a family with strong skillsets mean messes left behind, but it is a very rewarding trade-off. 

My love to all!