Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Because I was asked: How long are home canned food good for?

I have been answering this one off and on for over 25 years. Lately, as more and more people are stocking their pantries, it has been asked a lot. 

How long are home canned foods good for?

The 1-year shelf life you hear about is actually a "best use" date meaning quality (could be texture or color or nutritional) not safety.

If you followed safe canning protocols (preparation, cleanliness, canning times)

and

the seal is intact,

it is safe to eat.

Color does not determine safety. Color change is normal for some foods and particularly for some above the liquid line. 

I also use my senses which is the same practice I follow for grocery store goods. Did I hear the breaking of a vacuum seal? Does it smell OK? Do I see any defects in packaging or mold or etc? Does it taste OK?

Since I do not have a lot of time to pull resources atm (farm sales, marketing, planting, preserving, and cleaning), here is a good compilation of info that supports my statement:

https://www.healthycanning.com/the-shelf-life-of-home-canned-goods

While we were on one of our mountain adventures, I heard the seal break on one of my jars of hamburger. We were descending quickly so I knew it was due to the rapid pressure change. I knew it was good to eat unrefrigerated within 24 hours. So, when we stopped for lunch the next day, I found that jar and used it right away. 

The already cooked hamburger was a fast way to have a mountain top meal. We opened a can of sloppy joe mix, heated it up over a campfire in our dutch oven, and had chips with it. When I got home, I checked the seals on the few jars of chicken we had leftover before I put them away. They were all intact. 

Btw, Happy Birthday, cousin!