Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Repurposed Pool Pond Koi Goldfish Minnows Chicken Feed

This is drawing a lot of interest and I have been asked for more details. Here is my expanded answer on the pool pond:

We have another large above-ground pool with no filter/pumps on it that we grow minnows in for winter feed for our chickens. We also have a 250-gallon stock tank and a small metal boat where we raise minnows. There are also a few koi and goldfish in the pool pond. They mostly live off of bugs and algae. I put food in it off and on, but, I really do very, very little.

The minnows multiply rapidly in great numbers with my hands-off approach. The amazing thing is that we have had fewer mosquitoes. I think the "ponds" attract the mosquitoes to lay their eggs, and the minnows eat the larvae when they hatch.

The pond is not a pretty thing. My goal when I experimented was to not raise expenses or my workload. I don't mind the natural pond-like water. There is no strong smell coming from it. I don't do any tests on the water either. Basically, it is a 99% hands-off minnow factory.

We have looked into raising tilapia in the "pond pool," but to keep those going, we would need to bring breeders indoors in an aquarium in the winter. They can not handle our Zone 7 cold temps. We were told trout might survive outdoors year-round, but we have not looked further into it due to time constraints.

If one has chickens, the minnows are very worth doing. We set up our old pool, added water, put them in there, and they did the rest. It did not increase my power bill or my workload. I wondered if it would work, so I gave it a try. The minnows were scooped out of the river I live near. I started with fewer than 20 and now have so many I can dip from the "minnow ponds" all winter and not run out.

When I was thinking about trying, people told me it wouldn't work and that I'd need chemicals, pump, filter, heater, etc, etc. Most of the naysayers haven't even tried what they are naysaying. Nor do they have firsthand knowledge of anyone else who had tried. Much of the time, the naysayers are parroting what they read/heard somewhere. My advice is to do some research to learn the basics of whatever you want to do, think it through, and give it a try. If you talk it over with someone, discuss it with someone who helps you see potential problems and overcome them.

Dear Reader, Whatever project you are considering undertaking, don't be afraid to try. If it doesn't work, don't give up. Adjust something. Try another method. But, don't let naysayers with no personal experience keep you from trying. I'm doing all sorts of things I was told I couldn't do...including growing goldenseal on my farm. You won't know until you try, so just give it a try.