Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Another Quick and Inexpensive Meal Prep Idea

smokedsauspeppersonions1
This has been prepped for the freezer, but it has not been cooked yet.

We only have this 2-3 times a year but it is so quick and easy to prep and get into the freezer for harder days.

  • Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage 3.76 a lb (Sam's Club)
  • Onions .49 a lb (Sam's Club)
  • Green peppers .59 each (on sale Food Lion, I buy tons of them and freeze or dehydrate them when they go on sale so I can keep feeding my family within our budget. For the last sale they had, I purchased 60 and prepped them for meals right away. I made several freezer bags of both sliced and diced peppers. I also dehydrated some. Those 60 will last me about a year.)

There are 2.5 lbs of sausage ($9.40), about 4 green peppers ($2.36), and approximately three giant onions ($3) in each tray. $14.76 per tray. I serve it with biscuits or cornbread muffins. Eight of us can get a hearty meal from one tray so it comes down to $1.85 per meal. Usually, there are leftovers for Clint's lunches. 

I use the half size DEEP aluminum pans with lids. Those were $1 each when I purchased them. I reuse them many times so they end up costing very little.

(I'm a participant in the Amazon associate program which means I'll earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you buy through some of the links on this website, in which case I thank you. #amazonaffiliate)

Dear Reader, In the last year, I have been asked by several people to share quick and inexpensive meal ideas. I have more which you can find under the "meal ideas" label below. If you have some quick and inexpensive freezer prep meals to share, please send me an email (see header for email address). Love to all!