Monday, July 03, 2023

I love living along a salt marsh by the river...

...I have been told numerous times that my home is a place of "rest and beauty" "where time slows down." Since I live in an old farmhouse with a "practical whatever works and lasts" decorating style I knew they were referring to where our home is located rather than the actual house. 

I never put much thought into why people feel so relaxed here until recently when I came across an article about how scenic beauty is good for mental health in that it reduces stress and elevates mood. Scenic beauty is definitely abundant from the swaying reeds to the whispering pines to the water birds to the different hues of color the river takes on, and, let's not forget the spectacular sunrises and sunsets! I also love watching a storm come in from the river.

The rich biodiverse ecosystem draws so many creatures for a fantastic and up-close observation of wildlife. I pause frequently to watch the osprey build their nests and train their young or to see the crows chase off a bald eagle or observe a mama raccoon work hard to feed her young. Graceful deer show off their babies in our front yard even while we are on the deck.

There is so much to enjoy here. Boating, kayaking, fishing, hiking, and photography allow me to slow down and thank the Lord for the gorgeous place I call home. 

Homeschooling along the river was beneficial for my children. They not only made use of valuable educational opportunities, but they also conducted science experiments. One of my children even earned a scholarship and an opportunity to work with scientists for a day because he experimented with bull minnows by decreasing their water salinity. Being here gave my children a deeper appreciation and awareness of this fragile system and helped make them aware of how to be better stewards of it.

Then there is the blessing of seeing my neighbors benefit from the area in which we live. Most of our neighbors are watermen who fish or shellfish harvest. Others host sightseeing or historical tours and/or fishing expeditions for the many tourists who come to our community. Many of our neighbors have a crab pot or two that help feed their families. I know where a pastor likes to go fishing for striped bass to feed his growing boys. We also have many neighbors who hunt deer, rabbits, turkeys, and etc to not only feed their families but to provide meals through local charities.

The peaceful days with the views of nothing but nature all around me have given me a sense of solitude which has been good for my healing. God knew what He was doing when He led us to this 14-acre haven along the river. I am so thankful to Him for providing it as a place to raise our children. I would be content to spend the rest of my days here. 

Dear Reader, There are only a few things I do not like about where I live. I do not like mosquitoes, but I have learned a lot in recent years about how to keep their numbers low. (Build a shallow pond as a "trap" and put hungry minnows in it.) I did not particularly enjoy it when Hurricane Isabel flooded our home by 18 inches, but I am thankful for the trust in the Lord, self-reliance skills, patience, endurance, and more that grew from that one experience. Overall though, I am absolutely thrilled with where God has given us to call our earthly home. It's like He placed it here just for me. Do you love where you live? How has it been a blessing in your life?