Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Patience

rangersoakingmolasses2
spa treatment

Ranger still has not eaten at least not in front of me. When this was posted, it was day 20. I have faith he'll eat when he's ready. He is warming up to us and is exploring the house when he's out.


I do not feed my tortoises in their indoor habitat because I do not want bits and pieces of food that will draw insects. So, the tortoises are taken out of the habitat for meals which is how most people do it.


Because Ranger has not eaten, I am soaking him daily to prevent dehydration. I made a homemade electrolyte solution and added molasses to it. He likes it. I've seen him drinking it! I've also seen him urinate, so I know he's getting plenty of fluids. I rinse the solution off of him before he gets put back in his home.

I am soaking him a little bit longer than normal. To keep the water warm, I set the pan on a covered heating pad. It really helps keep the temperature in the right place.

On a side note, Ranger "shells up" differently than any tortoise I've ever had. He pulls his head and front legs in rapidly at one time while his back legs are still out supporting his shell. The front of his shell falls fast while his back end is still up in the air. Then he pulls his legs and tail inside. 

Dear Reader, Art reflects the artist. God's creatures intrigue me because through them we can learn more about Him. Like every other creature I have worked with, tortoises and turtles have individual preferences and behaviors. They are all unique! To be able to create so many individual differences in so many different living things shows us the vastness of God and His mind. For Him to be able to keep up with them all shows us His unlimited power. 

When birds are sold, two small birds cost only a penny. But not even one of those little birds can die without your Father knowing it. Matthew 10:29

Update: Since it's been since November 18th that he's arrived, I started feeding him in the habitat. I wondered if he was being shy about eating in front of us. I think I was right! He gained 5 ounces in a few days! So, we KNOW he's eating. We'll feed him in the habitat for a while to give him time to adjust to us.