Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Heating Pad without Auto Shut Off

I've been looking for a way to save money on heating my tortoise's tank. The ceramic heater I use tends to be warmer than she needs and isn't the most economical option. Incandescent light bulbs don't give her a rest from the light. Heating mats for reptiles have to be replaced too often and are too pricey for how long they last. I came across a few reptile forums where people were using heating pads without auto off or with purchaser altered auto shut off. All of them agreed the heating pads give better heat, cost much less to run, and last 5-6 years.

People need heating pads without auto shut off for a variety of reasons. Some people like to keep them on low all night to help warm their bed under their covers because it can save on their heating bills. People use them under tanks to heat reptiles, hedgehogs, and other small pets. They do this with a space for air flow between the surface the tank is on and the tank itself. Others use them for elderly pets. Rescue workers use them for feral and stray animals. Some shelters and rehab places use them to warm cages for sick, injured, newborn, or elderly animals.

I need two. I am going to heat both my tortoise tank from underneath and a box for our elderly cat with one heating pad. The pad will be placed between these with space for air flow. I need another for Emily's and Hannah's turtle tank.

While some people are using heating pads that they alter to stay on all of the time, I kept looking for one that did not have auto shut off. I don't want to void the warranty or run the risk of fire. These continuous on heating pads aren't as easy to find as you might think. I did a lot of internet searches today, but I found one! 

For others who are looking for a heating pad without auto shutoff, I found this on Sunbeam's website in the QandA section:

 "The only difference is the 756-500-000U heating pad has the ability to stay on without the 2 hour auto off." Source

I bought mine from Walmart.com with free shipping for $15.01.

Update: This did not provide enough heat to my tortoise because the substrate is so thick. It did warm up a smaller reptile tank with no substrate, and our elderly cat enjoyed hers. They also work good to get plants off to a good start and last a lot longer than the ones made for plants.