Thursday, June 03, 2021

Straight Line Winds and Tent Repair

 tents

From a previous post:

These are two 10 x 20 cabin-style tents that allow us stand up straight inside. They divide into three rooms and are quick set up tents. They can be set up in around 5-15 minutes each depending on who is helping me and how windy it is. Each comes with two dividers so they can have three separate rooms if wanted. There is even a panel for an air-conditioner and a special hole for extension cords for those who use them. The closest I could find to them today are here and here.

Staked down properly and weighed down with some of our gear, these tents have held up very well in 45 mph sustained winds with 50+ mph gusts. One time, we were staying in a "rustic cabin"* and had only a few pieces of lightweight gear in the tents (less than 50 lbs in each). We only staked four corners because no bad weather was expected. Well, a thunderstorm popped up. We had 70+ mph straight-line winds that took down three trees around us. Yeah, that was something! Our shower tent was completely ruined from the wind. One of the tents you see above collapsed on itself. It sustained one tiny tear in the mesh. The other was lifted and rolled three times into a grassy field. It received a tear on the corner which is attached to a support pole. It also had a few holes in the mosquito netting. I'll share how and what I used to make the repair in another post.

How I made the repair:

The repair in the corner was significant because the pole of the tent was attached to it AND it was also where a stake went through. 

The pole had completely detached. There was very little fabric to work with due to the nature of the tear. I carried my sewing machine outside to the opened tent and did the best I could with the material that was left. 

Then, I used Tear-Aid See Thru Fabric Repair Type A. I followed the directions on rounding corners with scissors and using a wider piece of tape than the tear. Because it was a portion of the tent that would see a lot of stress when set up, I also went under the corner with a long strip and carefully folded it over the first making sure I had the material spread out smoothly. Then, I went over the top where that piece's seams met. The repair held up great even in 45 mph winds!

I also used this tape to repair a long rip I made in the mosquito netting of a door with my shoe as I "gracefully" tripped getting into the tent. The tape did a fantastic job there. I did not. I put it a little too low, so the zipper hangs up on that side. To solve the issue, we just use the other side.

This stuff is pricey, but it makes very strong and nice-looking repairs FAST. For gear you plan to keep using long term, it's a must!



tearaid

For the holes in the mosquito netting, I used Gear Aid Tenacious Tape Mesh Patches for Tent and Bug Screen Repair. One of the holes was quite large, so I used three on one side and three on the other with adhesive parts touching. It also has held up wonderfully!