Saturday, April 02, 2022

Make your own cleaner from orange peels

orangecleaner

As an herbalist, I have used this tip for about two decades. I just started another jar tonight and thought I'd share in case it might help someone else save money. Why buy cleaners when you can easily make them? Why buy essential oil to make a cleaner when you can easily extract it from something you throw away? (I NEVER throw away citrus peels...too valuable for the oils, vitamin C, anti-inflammatory effects, calcium, etc...and as a cleaner.) I will continue adding peels and vinegar until I get it filled. I use the peels as "soft scrubby pads" on some stains. I strain them off if I put it into a sprayer. Then the peels get composted. I make my own apple cider vinegar too, but consider it too valuable due to the health benefits to use as a cleaner. I used cheap vinegar I got from the store for this. #wastenotwantnot #stewardship 

Don't throw away what you can put to good use. In addition to cleaners, citrus peels are full of things you need...
"Citrus peels are packed with immune-boosting vitamin C, bone-building calcium and anti-inflammatory, antioxidant bioflavonoids. They also provide potassium, which helps keep blood pressure in check, and limonene, a phytochemical that may have anti-cancer effects and can help with heartburn."
from: https://www.besthealthmag.ca/article/nutrition-the-health-benefits-of-citrus-peels/

(Tip: research limonene and cancer on pubmed)