Wednesday, April 05, 2023

A favor if you will: (I'm very frustrated)

We had an incident on the farm today. A boy's uncollared, untrained dog got loose and tore into one of our top hens. 

The 15-year-old boy was polite and apologetic. In the course of trying to get the dog caught, he told me the dog caught and nearly killed another neighbor's cat. He told me the pen he was given for the dog is falling apart and that is why the dog escaped. I could tell the dog was underweight and wormy. It is not very tame at all. It also aggressively chased after our cats but did not catch them.

Clint called the number the boy gave us for his mother. Clint was polite and explained the situation in the voicemail he left. He did not get a reply. 

So, I texted her. I let her know what happened, told her I can't afford livestock losses, and told her I was willing to work with the dog. I'd also teach the boy how to train the dog. I explained I have 30 years of experience and am good with both children and dogs. I feel confident I can train the dog and make him a better pet for her son. I offered wormers, a leash, a collar, etc to help them take care of the dog. We have things to repair the pen with too. 

Instead of taking responsibility, the mother denied it was her dog and placed the ownership and blame solely on her child. She did not apologize for the trouble or thank us for the offer, and only said the dog is not trainable at all. She did ask if the hen was alive or dead. I did not answer that because I can handle the loss of one hen. 

We caught the poor traumatized hen, tended to the deep and wide puncture wound in her thigh, and administered antibiotics. She may make it if we can keep infections away.

Trying again, I texted the mother one more time. I told her I felt I could train the dog if she would allow it. I also informed her that since her son is a minor, the law will see the dog as her property. Since it has caused problems with other neighbors, I felt she needed to know she is responsible for the actions of the animal under her roof. 

While I did not tell her this, it is the reason I told her that: In my opinion, if that dog is not quickly trained, it will very likely bite a person. It's an unneutered alpha male who has already attacked two animals (that I know of) and is one of the most aggressive dog breeds toward humans. The breed doesn't matter as much as the lack of training does. 

We have small children in our neighborhood. The dog nearly took off in that direction but we were able to lure it out of the woods to my yard. I alerted the neighbor though.

It's sad, but the dog is probably going to be put down by someone in our neighborhood. I may even have to do it myself. That's going to trouble my heart in several ways. The boy is probably in trouble for the dog escaping because it has a pen that "is falling apart." Ugh!

I'm frustrated. I know what needs to be done and have the supplies to help the dog have a better life and the boy have a better experience with his dog, but the mother isn't open to it. I realize she may have money issues I am unaware of, but that does not negate her responsibility to keep the dog under control. 

Dear Reader, If you will, please pray with me that if I can be God's instrument in this situation that God will soften the mother's heart and open the doors so I can work with the dog. I can not emphasize how much it tears at my heart to put a dog down when it starts to kill our livestock. I am an empathetic person. I carry stuff with me. I feel bad for the dog and will feel bad for this boy if it comes to that. I get quite angry at the irresponsible person who neglected to prevent the situation. I shouldn't have to be put into this position. It is not rocket science to train a dog. In fact, it is very easy today to have a well-trained dog with so many free resources available through the internet. If God does not allow it, please pray I do not have to shoot that boy's dog. I place this situation in His hands and rest knowing He knows best. Please, if you get a dog, be responsible, train it well, and don't allow it to be a problem for others.