Saturday, April 15, 2023

A Unique Spot: Cole Cemetery Talladega National Forest

ColeCemetery

I like cemeteries. The older, the better. I love the stories and the history you can learn. This is a unique cemetery. It is on the only privately owned land in the Talladega National Forest which is in the state of Alabama. It is on a pretty little hill in the forest. It is still maintained by descendants of the people buried here. 

Some of the graves are from the 1700s and are only marked with rocks from the surrounding area. Some are handmade and/or hand inscribed. I am guessing from the dates that there was a sickness or disease that took multiple family members. I did not get a picture of all of them, but one family lost several children in a very short time frame.

ColeCemetery3
Most of the graves were marked like this without an inscription.

ColeCemeteryWillie

I did a rubbing to learn his name because I could not make out the name in the shadows. In the baby loss communities, it is very important to most mothers with baby losses that someone remembers their baby's/babies' name/s. 

We mothers with losses tend to do that for each other. 

So, it was very important to me that I took the time to learn his name. When I did I had a moment of shedding some grief for not only my losses but for all mothers who miss their children. Willie didn't mean to, but he broke his poor mama's heart. 

My stillborn and miscarried children's names are Sarah, Rebecca, Josiah, Angel Noel, Abigail, Benjamin, Mary, Isaac, and Jonathan.

I broke down crying again when I made this post. The Lord hugged me by having Bethany text me at that very moment and tell me she loved me. God is good!