Saturday, November 04, 2023

We were hit by a bulldozer...

BulldozerJeepGuys

Clint arrived home and asked me if I wanted to go to the mountains with him. We packed and left within about 20 minutes.

The Blue Ridge was congested with leaf peepers, so we slipped away to an off-road for a more restful pace. It was so pretty and peaceful! I have pictures from that, but I had to tell this story first.

As we left the off-road area, we saw two Jeeps needing repairs. This guy was able to make the repairs he needed...

BulldozerJeepGuys2

but this guy needed a new brake line and brake fluid before he descended the mountain. We offered to go get those for him. He was very grateful. So off we went.

Right here is a good place for this quote: "No good deed goes unpunished." 

Bulldozer2

As we made our way down the mountain, we met the forestry service coming up the mountain. The road was narrow, so both vehicles moved as far over as they possibly could. We were on the side with the long steep drop. 

Bulldozer5

It appeared we were clear, but then it sounded like an explosion! The sound scared me because it was so much louder than I would have ever imagined especially for as slow as the big truck was moving. The mirror was hit. It busted on both sides, flexed forward, and then vibrated some and snapped back into position. The missing part was flung over the truck and off the side of the mountain. No recovering that!

Clint would have pulled the mirror in, but the forestry truck never stopped. We met suddenly on a sharp, narrow curve. There was no time to roll the window down and pull in the mirror safely. Clint was not going to risk a serious injury to his hand over a mirror.

However, we all thought all was clear until the impact. Clint and I had no idea...

Bulldozer1

that the blade was hanging over. This picture does not show how much it was hanging over. I also think the fact we were passing on a curve kept us from seeing it hanging off.

We had to go back to where the Jeeps were broken down because that was the only place we could park and exchange info. I told the Jeep guy with the brake issues we were not able to get the parts due to the accident, but someone else then went for them. I offered him water and snacks while he waited. He was pretty upset about his Jeep.

The driver of the big load apologized and was relieved we weren't angry. He said on the way up the mountain road, the load shifted. A chain broke and then the dozer slid on the trailer. There was nowhere to unload and reload the dozer to reposition it, so they had to keep going.

We told him it was no big deal. No one was hurt. The brand spanking new 2024 Dodge Ram 1500's mirror needs replacing but it's just a thing. Things aren't what are really important.

BulldozerJDSingle23

When we got back up to where the Jeeps were broken down, there were a lot of forestry guys looking at their fire truck which had just broken down. Those guys figured out what happened and wanted to see the damage, so they and I started talking and joking with each other while Clint and the driver of the big truck were working out the details.

We somehow started talking about my single and very capable 28-year-old daughter. I told them about all of the things she has achieved and her skill set. They were impressed.

THEN, ðŸ˜ƒ LOL with that mischievous twinkle in my eye, I told them my girl likes guys who can keep their cars on the road. I pointed to their broken firetruck and said, "She wouldn't be broken down on the side of the road because she can fix her own cars." They laughed so hard at that! Clint, who had been observing and listening in, busted out laughing.

FYI, the forestry department is self-insured which really speeds up the process for repairs.

My eyes are twinkling mischievously again... Single young ladies, the picture above is JD. He is 23, single, very good-natured, and has steady employment. He is the newbie to the crew. Just so ya know, he is not the guy who hit us. Despite the broken-down fire truck, he seems pretty capable. :-D All joking aside, he is a very nice young man.


*****

Dear Reader, In case you are wondering, I am feeling a lot better. I am sorry for the things I have canceled. I appreciate those who have checked in on me and are praying for me. My love to all!