Thursday, December 14, 2023

Heating Pad Thieves (How I am treating my injured knee at home)

PennyandMarty
Pretty Penny the Poodle, and Marty the 13.75-year-old rescued Chihuahua who has enjoyed her nearly four years of being free from a crate.

I got up for less than a minute, and these two took the opportunity to steal the heating pad!


I slipped in mud while carrying two cattle panels across a steep ditch earlier this month. My knee grew as big as a softball, but it is responding very well to what I am doing for it. From online medical diagnosis flow charts and talking with my friends who are nurses, I believe I have a torn meniscus. If it was not responding to what I am doing for it, I would go to a doctor for imaging. 

Btw, I am not anti-doctor as some claim. I am anti-germy doctor's offices. Many years ago, I grew very tired of coming home with confirmation of what I had already figured the issue was plus something "extra" that ran through my family. 

I am almost always contacted and asked how I am treating something at home. The following is to answer that question, but remember I am not a medical doctor. With that in the forefront of your mind, this is how I am treating my knee injury at home. I took triple the doses of an OTC joint formula. A doctor shared years ago that this can be done for a week for most people. Two days of that and rest really helped with the pain level. Half of the inflammation is still there, so I am using castor oil spread around the joint wrapped in plastic wrap with a heating pad to reduce it. At night, I use my comfrey salve and wrap it with plastic to keep it from ruining my sheets. I use a heating pad on it for at least an hour at night. I have a vibrating heating knee brace I can wear too. This helps stimulate blood flow which helps speed healing. #amazonaffiliate "As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” 

Just so ya know, when I took the heating pad back to treat my knee, I was given some very dirty canine looks! :-)