Thursday, March 03, 2022

How I Organize Seeds

seeds1 
seeds3

I am always growing, selling, and giving away plants. I keep a lot of seeds on hand for that reason. This is the way that works the best for me for the organization of the seeds. I have them in two plastic file boxes that I picked up from a big box store for less than $8 each. Note: They have increased in price since I bought them a few months ago. I am using pocket-style folders*. I divided the seeds into cool and warm weather crops into the boxes and then into individual crops in the folders. 

To save space, some crops share folders. Swiss chard is in with the beets because those are closely related. Swiss chard was developed from beets that were selectively bred to have big juicy leaves and stems with smaller roots.

I do not strictly plant by calendar dates. I plant by soil temperature which can vary a few weeks from year to year. I use this thermometer. You can also enter your zip code on this map to find out the soil temperature in your area. This is a safer way to start your garden than going by the calendar. It can make the difference between failure and success. Happy gardening! 

* #amazonaffiliate "As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”