Saturday, February 24, 2024

Incubating Quail Eggs in a Pan of Rice

QuailHatching

My incubator is homemade. I've used it for several years, and Clint just overhauled it this year. To test it, I purchased quail eggs.

I did not have quail egg trays, so I used rice in an aluminum foil cake pan. I have not seen anyone else doing this anywhere (and I searched), so I thought I'd share my idea here.

I put enough rice in the pan to hold the eggs-big end up. As you can see, it worked great! I did not have to spend the money for quail egg racks I may never use again. I will also not have to find a storage space for the quail egg racks, and I can easily repeat this any time I need it.

I plan to reuse the rice at least once. Then I'll see how the rice looks. If it looks fairly clean, I'll reuse it again. When I am finished with the rice, I will boil it with the eggshells and feed it to my chickens. No waste!