Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Victory! 7 of 7 Graduated

I shared previously that Hannah completed her high school course. Hannah's high school diploma arrived yesterday evening! That means my 29.5 year long career as a homeschooling mother has ended.

Thoughts:

I have worked myself right out of a job.

I have taught seven people to read and write. That was an honor and a privilege.

I have taught academics from preschool to high school. Hats off to the classroom teachers who do it for other people's children with so many limitations placed on them. 

Shew, that was a lot of work!! Some days I didn't think I'd make it to this point.

But, it was so much FUN!!! I am so glad I did it!

Through 14 pregnancies that had me on so much "complete bed rest" that I can't stand to stay in my bedroom, I learned that you really can't stop children from learning. Give them tools and they will learn. Joshua learned how to read, number recognition, count, add, and subtract with no instruction from me. He picked it up from his siblings and the tools (learning-rich environment) we had in our home...while I was on bed rest.

I owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who contributed along the way from those who fought for my right to do so, to those who made the curriculum I used, to classroom teachers who were willing to answer questions online, and to the ones who gave me tons of resources from their own classrooms to fellow homeschool moms who cheered me on when I got overwhelmed, to those who thought Clint and I were crazy but trusted where the Lord was leading us and kept praying for us despite their concerns. 

It grew me in many ways, but anything that challenges you will do that if you let it.

What a blessing homeschooling has been to our family! It strengthened our relationships with God, our marriage, our parent/child relationship, and their sibling relationships. It has allowed us to experience much more of life. I am thankful God put it on two young people's hearts to take this journey with Him.

Now it's time to celebrate with the people who loved on us and prayed for us through almost three decades of homeschooling. Then it's onward to get these two driving and graduated!