Thursday, November 08, 2018

Are They Old Shingles or Resources?

1

2

3

4

Our family has been blessed with shingles over and over during the 20 years we've lived here. One summer, we were given a very large dump truck load of shingles from four different houses. It took us a week to sort them. Copying cities all over our nation that use waste asphalt shingles to build roads, we used them to maintain our very long driveway. It saved us from having to buy gravel. We saved more than $2000 in keeping our long driveway in good shape in a few hours a day for a couple of weeks one summer. 

We did a pick up truck load today in less than two hours. We have a four tiered system to sort out the nails and we run a large magnet over our finished work. As we work, we sort the shingles by size. It takes time to sort all of the nails out of them, but not as much time as you might think. The process goes very quickly with four of us working on them. 

We listened to music, practiced homeschool spelling words, let the pets interrupt us, told jokes, and enjoyed each others company. We have a gallon jug for the nails. We're enjoying watching it fill up and have made guesses about how many we will get before the job is done. 

When we are finished with the other loads that are coming, I will sort out the straight nails that can be reused and will sort them again by size. I can do this while listening to my daughters read or while I am visiting with others. It gives me a better return for my "down" time than just sitting there.

Being a good steward encompasses more than money we earn. It's an attitude and a way of life. It means we can't be so arrogant that we think hard or tedious work is beneath us. It's looking for ways to maximize the resources we have as we look for ways to serve the Lord, give to others, and live a peaceful life. That includes money, items we own, things we no longer want, our gifts and talents, and our relationships. It's looking for ways we can redeem our time and make the most of everything God sends our way. 

Stewardship is life encompassing. It's humbleness and thankfulness with a willingness to serve the Lord even in the lowliest of tasks. It keeps us looking to the Lord and thanking Him for what He sends our way to better our lives. It enables us to do far more for others when we make the most of what we have.

I do not know what your abilities are or what resources are present in your situation, but i encourage you to look at them with new eyes with the goal of making the most of what God has put into your hand.

I have to add, I love my Boss and this path where He has led me! It was so unpopular with friends and family, and the criticism I received was so harsh and hurtful. I had a lot of "This way? Are you sure, Lord?" moments. He reassured, and I walked where He led. As the years have passed, I have seen the fruit it has reaped in my marriage, family, children's hearts, and my own spiritual walk. I'd much rather be home with my children pouring God's Word into their hearts, honoring and helping my husband, managing my home, running our farm, and maximizing our income than spending 10 hours a day commuting and working for a company. My time as a wife, stay at home mother, and home maker is worth so much more than money.