Thursday, August 01, 2019

Paper Dolls

paperdolls

paperdolls2

The woman I knew as my grandmother was named Ada. She took in my mother when my mother's family fell apart due to my grandfather, a policeman, being shot in the head. He lived, but the family, consisting of either 13 or 15 children from what I was told, fell on very hard times.

Ada taught me how to cut out a chain of paper dolls from plain paper when I was a very little girl. Then she instructed me to draw and color them. She said it was what she did for fun when she was a little girl. It is a simple skill with a lot of creative self-entertainment value. 

I saw a paper doll book in a store, and it reminded me of that happy memory.  I bought the book and took it home to my daughters and told them the story and passed down the knowledge. 

My youngest two daughters enjoyed the lesson, combined it with what they learned in the book, and made many of their own paper dolls and outfits. Now they will have a story to tell their children that spans generations. I gave thanks to God for the happy memory and the opportunity to pass it down to my girls.