Monday, September 09, 2019

Under His Protection

The brakes on my suburban, which weighs 5226 pounds, completely failed tonight while we were pulling a load with our trailer (another 1800+ lbs).* This was just hours after I had been out in it with my three youngest. It was only an hour after Brandon and Joshua made a trip in it with a heavier load.

We had to go home to drop off our girls and then go out again to pick up Clint's car.

We were rolling through a highly trafficked area where people are known for pulling out suddenly. Drivers pull out from two different spots in this particular area. There are some old men here who drive 15-20 miles an hour down the road. Thankfully, nothing bad happened.

Clint was driving and missed our turn.

Me, thinking he needed to get something before going home: "Honey, where are you going? We needed to turn there."

C-Dawg, as calm as can be: "Our brakes are not working. I'll turn back around, and you'll be home in a minute, sweetheart."

Me, knowing he was in control: "OK." I texted Brandon and asked him to meet us at home and give us a ride so we could get Clint's car from where we left it. He happily obliged us. Having family close is a huge advantage!

Clint used the emergency brake to turn into a school. He turned around and got us safely home which was 1.5 miles and 3 turns from where the trouble started. I'm glad God gave me a good man who thinks clearly during emergency situations.

I am thankful the brakes didn't fail while I was driving, but I know how to use the E brake to stop a vehicle. Clint comes up with different life situations and asks us to tell him how we'd respond. We have already well thought out plans in our heads for many situations. This training exercise has helped us in many ways over the years. Clint takes his job as a husband/father seriously. He teaches willing others too.

Dear Reader, thank you for any prayers you may have lifted for my family's safety. Please keep praying for us.



The Lord is good,
a refuge in times of trouble.

He cares for those who trust in him.
Nahum 1:7