Wednesday, November 06, 2019

You Probably Knew This Was Going to Happen...

Little Jo, my sulcata, was passed to me by a soldier who hated to give her up but was being deployed. While she wasn't a pet I had chosen, I had planned to keep her long term. With our lives changing and our futures looking much different than I had envisioned, I felt it best to find Little Jo a home before she needed a large outdoor space. 

I had raised her from a few months to nearly five years. It made me sad for weeks, but I knew it was best to find her a home while she was still small to give her new caregiver time to bond and prepare for her future needs. She went to a reptile expert who complimented me very highly on her health and care regime which was encouraging and very appreciated.


redfootopening1
a special package thanks to my family

If you have been reading for a while, you know I made a commitment to look out for turtles* once I heard how people were killing desert tortoises for "fun." Seeing images and reading about their numbers being reduced so callously made me resolve I would look out for the quiet, gentle, shelled creatures for as long as I lived. 

I have done that on many levels from assisting them to cross the road, to taking in and giving first aid to sick and injured ones, to rehabbing many, to helping breed them and repopulate their numbers, ending suffering for some as much as it pained my heart, and giving lifelong protected outdoor homes to others. I have also helped educate school children and adults on these unique creatures.

I also want to have a life long, special shelled friend as a indoor pet to add to our 6 birds, 3 pound poodle, and one very aggravating cat that belongs to Bethany. (I wasn't too fond of Miracle many days either, so there's still hope affection can grow in my heart for Grey.)

redfootopening2
in the box view

One of the tortoises I had always wanted was a red foot tortoise. They are big enough to not be easily trampled on by my large family, but they are small enough they can live indoors with some outdoor sunbathing time. They do well in my climate, and they learn and respond to people. However, I never pursued obtaining one. They can be a bit pricey for a tortoise.

My family knew how sad I was after Little Jo left, and they worked together to purchase me a redfoot tortoise of my own!!!

Her name is Chevelle after Clint's old car. She is about 12 years old and blessed me with five eggs not too long after arriving. They can have fertile eggs for up to four years after breeding, so we will see what happens. (Upon candling, I learned they were all infertile.)

I am looking forward to working with Chevelle to discover new tortoise behaviors and see what she can learn. Eventually, I hope to add a friend for her because these tortoises are different in that they like having others around.


redfoot1
gorgeous shell

Chevelle was very shy after her trip but has warmed up to me quickly. I have already been able to get her to consistently use the bathroom on a pet pad. I know with some time and good care she and I will become good friends. 


A little FYI:
 turtleinfographic
shared with me to help educate, original source unknown