Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Cooking Oil Substitutes

Cooking oil rationing is happening in other countries. Supplies of cooking oils are very low in my area at the moment. The shelves are about 25-33% stocked of what is normal and that is after they reduced the shelving space to hold less. Prices have skyrocketed. Tips:

Use a little less of what you have to make it last longer.

Learn the substitutes for oils. for example, I have been using fruit purees in cake mixes since the 90s. Applesauce is an example of a fruit puree that can be substituted for oil.

Research the health benefits of and learn how to render these fats: schmaltz, lard, tallow. You may already have invested money in and are throwing away replacements for cooking oils. I have found that I can use quite a bit less and still have a nice finished product in most dishes. 

My generation was been taught that fats are bad and that we should avoid them. However, fats are very important for health. The stick margarine that was pushed as "healthier" in the 70s is detrimental to heart health in more than one way. I also think that time period's advice on fats has something to do with the rising cases of Alzheimer's and dementia. I'd rather use something that comes to us naturally. 

My favorite fat to render is lard from our pasture raised hogs.

There will be a lot of people who will tell you that you can't keep tallow or lard on a shelf or that you can't keep it on a shelf for longer than xx amount of time. When I have cared to ask, most naysayers on whatever they are talking about have not even tried the thing they are saying can't be done. So, I don't give most of that advice much attention. I just go ahead an try it. 

Tallow and lard, rendered properly, are shelf stable. I have lard that is a couple years old on my pantry shelf that still looks, smells, and tastes as fresh as when I put it in the canning jar. Your nose will tell you very quickly if it is spoiled. It will smell chemically. Mold is also a sign it had gone bad. If the taste is sour, it's bad.

I pour the hot tallow or lard into the canning jars via funnel and cap them after they cool. Waiting until they have cooled prevents condensation that can cause mold. I fill them to within 1/2 inch of the top before I move to the next jar.

Schmaltz needs to be refrigerated or frozen. Schmaltz is made from the yellow fat layer that forms on top of the gelatin like layer. Once we cook chicken, we strain the juices into a wide bowl and put it into the fridge until it solidifies. We separate it with a spatula and make the schmaltz. I use the gelatin like layer to flavor soups. 

If you do have fat that goes bad, especially the tallow or lard, remember there are other uses for it like lubrication, candles, etc. 

Dear Reader, I learned a lot of what I know from reading books from authors other times and other cultures. These people survived or are surviving just fine without modern conveniences like refrigeration. They often possess a wealth of knowledge for anyone who cares to learn. My love to all!