Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Dehydrator

 I am asked quite often which dehydrator I use. 

Background: I have been dehydrating food since my early marriage. I have used sun drying methods, attic drying, car drying, oven drying, cheap plastic dehydrators, homemade dehydrators, the NESCO plastic dehydrators, and the big metal box style dehydrators. I would like to build a solar dehydrator and use that, but for now...

I am mostly using the big metal box-style dehydrators. I own two of the same make and model. I use at least one of them multiple times a week. I am very pleased with their quality, ease of operation, and performance. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Now, I could have gone out and bought the pricer models out there, but I believe brand loyalty is a sucker's game. There are plenty of things without brand names that perform just as well. Why would I go invest money in something simply because of a name? 

I compared friends' Excalibers with what was on the market, and I settled on the Yescom dehydrator. It has performed so well, I purchased a second one. Why two? Garden harvests and sales in the grocery store can be abundant, and with a large family I like to take advantage of that abundance. If I do not have the ability to dry it quickly enough, I can't take advantage of it.

I use this style mat (again, who cares about the name?!) to line the racks. I have one set by another vendor and a set by the vendor at this link. 

#amazonaffiliate I'm a participant in the amazon associate program which means I'll earn a VERY small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you buy through some of the links on this website, in which case I thank you.