Thursday, January 19, 2023

I won't chew one of these again...

moringa

I apologize for the sideways picture, but it is another day of "controlled chaos" at Contentment Acres. I am in the middle of quite a bit, but I had to document the story contained herein.

The bowl has turmeric roots soaking before I plant them. I added the moringa seeds later. Soaking seeds or roots will help provide the moisture necessary for germination which can speed the process up.

I try to grow something different every year, and this year it is moringa. They grow fast and tall. The plant can be used as food, medicine, and livestock feed.

I read that in Africa, they chew the moringa seeds. I bought these to plant so I can get the leaves of the tree for food/livestock feed, but I thought I'd try a seed. 

Shew! The seeds have a very strong bitter licorice with something else taste that I just wanted out of my mouth. And, it hangs around. Emily and Hannah laughed at me, so I offered them one. After chewing hers, Emily said my advice not to chew it was top-notch. I did enjoy seeing the expressions on their faces and hearing the ring of their laughter.

Clint chewed one when he got home. Then he chewed another. He can't taste the strong taste the girls and I can. He said they only have a slight licorice flavor.

Dear Reader, I love trying new things and new foods. I look forward to trying the moringa leaves and seed pods, but  I won't be chewing a seed anymore. Blech! I'll swallow those whole if I decide to partake of them. What new foods and things have you tried lately?