Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Dirty Dollars

I offered to clean out a building that had not been touched since the 1950s or 1960s. No one is sure of when it was last touched, to be honest. The boxes' bottoms had disintegrated into nothing. 

People had been careless and had spilled potting soil, fertilizer, bark, etc over the boxes. It was dusty and dirty. The roof had leaked a little too. I think paper eating bugs ate the box bottoms because there was only a tiny bit of dust left under the boxes. I've never seen anything like it. We would lift a box and the sides would come up but there was no bottom. The contents would just sit there. Dust was under the contents.

Vintage and antique items are something I enjoy. I have a knack for finding valuable pieces and have considered opening a store online to sell my finds. In my perusal of the building's contents, I had already spotted at least dozens of high value items. 

There was at least $5k to 8k that I knew I could sell online at a below market prices. If I sell it at market price, I might hold onto it longer, but I could net more. Several of the items were turn of the century. I knew I could offer a local dealer a good portion of it as a lot and not have to piece it out myself. He would get a deal, and I would minimize my workload.

When I inquired about why the person's adult children would not get this stuff and sell it, I was told they were healthy and able, had more than enough time, and knew the items held value. They considered it too much work. 

I jumped at the chance to get the items. I have no doubts I can sell it easily because of my previous experience and success selling vintage and antique items online. I can take that money and invest it and, Lord willing, turn it into more.

I've learned that there are many, many people who will not do something because it is unpleasant work. They just won't do it no matter the pay off. It's sad to see people struggling financially and choosing to sit on a couch playing video games or watching TV mind programming instead of furthering themselves and their children. My youngest sons' boss shares my observations, and says it is multigenerational but noticeably worse within the last two generations. 

The job was dirty and dusty. I was very thankful to get home and shower! However, my few days of labor was rewarded very handsomely. I am giving my children their pick of the antiques and vintage items as a thank you for their help. I gave them a choice between cash or some of the items. They wanted the items because they know they are hard to find and will increase in value. "They're also too cool to part with!

Dear Reader, Would you dig through dirt to pick up more $10, $20, $50, and $100 bills than you can fit into a standard wallet? I think most of my friends and family would. Does it perplex you how people won't do very simple things to better themselves?