Thursday, June 25, 2020

Regarding Crows

I was asked about crows...

I live a ways off the road and am surrounded by woods. Our property is clearly marked every few feet all the way around. Our game warden praised our efforts in making sure our border was highly visible. No one should be back here ever. However, the crows around us have alerted me to strangers trespassing/poaching several times. 

One time, I had been working outside and did not hear anything in the woods. The crows alerted me in a way that I knew something was very off. I told my children to get in the house and told one to bring me a firearm. As soon as the firearm was visible, I heard a person quickly running off. They were on the border of our land and a vacant forested lot...where they should not have been. They were in a spot where they could watch us but not be seen. From trash we later found, I suspect it was a poacher putting down bait nearby.

Another time, I was in and out of the house. I heard one and then several crows give an alarm, and they were hopping from tree to tree. I again asked for a firearm while I kept watch because I knew by the way the crows were alarming it was a human or a coyote. This time, I heard a man yell at me as he ran off. He got caught trespassing, so he cussed me? OK. I'm fine with that as long as he gets off my land and keeps off. I do not play around when it comes to my family's or livestock's safety or security. 

If I am outside, I know right away if a hawk is nearby because the crows will let me know. If crows aren't causing losses to your livestock or garden, I'd leave them alone and learn their behaviors. You never know what they might alert you to in the future. 







*These events happened over the course of 25 years. In the last several years, our game warden has stepped up his efforts and has been a lot of help. Two of the neighbors our place borders have joined in the efforts since their land was affected by the poachers too.