Monday, June 08, 2020

Every Day is Different

everydaydifferent

As a young stay at home mother, I started growing our own fruits and vegetables and raising livestock because it gave us organic foods, cut our costs, and allowed me to make an income from home. It was hard work doing that while breastfeeding infants, caring for toddlers, homeschooling the older children, taking care of our home, and running our kennel while selling things over the internet, but most things worth doing involve a good amount of effort. 

I work much harder as a stay at home mom than I ever did when I was working full time. However, everything I do benefits our family directly instead of my efforts mostly going to a benefit a corporation while I receive only a partial benefit for my work.

I can remember one morning where I was pregnant and very sick with severe hyperemesis gravidarum. The doctor had told me to bed rest, but I had four young children waiting on breakfast. I was milking our goat, Little May, when the exhaustion hit me so hard, I laid my forehead against her soft, warm side to keep myself upright. Little May was not stanchioned, so she was free to move her head. I thought she'd be irritated. Instead, she turned and gently nuzzled my ear and hair in the tenderest way as if to say, "You have this! You can keep going!" That morning, a humble little goat was used by Almighty God to give me encouragement! Those were endurance testing days, but I survived and am better for them.

I LOVE my life! My days are never the same, and I love that what I do goes directly and fully to my family. I am not working to make a business or corporation wealthier. I am working every day for the betterment of my own family. God led me to this place after I sought Him. How good He is to give us JOY in the middle of serving Him. 

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. 
Colossians 3:23-24

The picture: 

My old manual milk machine was degraded, so I am making a new one. I am using this auto bleed kit with the medical syringes. The syringes will go over the goat's teats. The pump will pull a vacuum, and the milk will be deposited very cleanly through tubing into a mason jar. I am proficient at milking by hand, but this speeds up the process and keeps it very sanitary. I am teaching my girls how to milk by hand because it is a skill and experience not many have. Every skill we learn builds confidence. My other children all have all also learned.

The cutting pliers aka nail pullers, wire cutters are used to trim goat hooves. Some people buy very expensive 15" long hoof nippers, but these work great for me. A slightly smaller size than this one works well for goats too. 

The shavings are for chicks that are here and ducklings that are still enroute as I type this post. Our hens are older and our roosters were killed by something. Infertile eggs won't hatch no matter how long you keep them in an incubator! 

Because of our aging flock, we had planned to buy new birds, but we had not expected the mad dash for chicks due to fears of food shortages caused by CoVid. Some of the breeds we have had on the farm for 20 years are sold out for the rest of the year. Some will be available this fall. We went with Leghorns, which we've had before, and Cochins, which are new to us.