Friday, June 05, 2020

Quail

The quail eggs that were lost in the USPS postal system and delayed by an extra 4 days...none of them hatched. I candled them a week before the hatch date and only 18 had development and six of those were questionable. I only saw movement in two. 

Then, my incubator's thermostat got wonky. It went up to 104. That was that. 

The USPS honored the $50 insurance, so we received all except $7 back. 

Because the flow of mail has been affected so much lately, I am hesitant to buy more fertile eggs. I also do not like running the incubator when it is hot. 

We found 30 quail chicks in Chesapeake last night. Quail chicks are so adorable! Tiny, fuzzy, sweet things! They give me the feels, and I say girly things like "AW!!!" "SO CUTE!!!" They are also fragile, and losses can be high if one little factor in their care gets out of whack. 

I will try to get picts of them soon.