Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Comparison of two dehydrators... and a couple of tips

Both of my square Nesco dehydrators lost their heat function, so I started researching different models. 

Tip: Through that, I learned that modern models have a timer and instructions to allow a two-hour cool-down period. Clint can repair the square Nesco dehydrators I have, and I will see if I can keep them running using this information. I think running them longer than this was causing the heating elements to fail.

Tip #2: I do not recommend the very cheap round dehydrators. The plastic used in those becomes quite brittle to the point they will fall apart in your hands as you rotate the trays. If you do buy them, store them inside your home vs attic, storage unit, or storage shed where the heat will make them degrade faster. I've gone through quite a few of these over the years. The two square Nesco dehydrators I own have held up (one since early to mid-1990s) and has been stored in the attic. 

I still wanted another dehydrator...

The Excaliber model I was looking at had 10 trays and was $500. I did not want to pay that for something I would only use part-time and end up in a box in storage most of the year. 

For 99% of things I purchase, the brand name does not matter to me as long as the item is well made, performs reliably, and is durable. I see through the "brand loyalty" game and instead do research. This exposes me to new brands with high quality products and saves me some cash. Dear Consumer, you WANT more brand competition so prices will come down. 

I set a budget for $100 for a new dehydrator. I did not like the options I had at that price point, so I changed that to $200 to $250. I spent about an hour comparing the specs on different models. 

I wanted a stainless steel cabinet, 10 14" trays, 1200 watts of power, up to 165 degrees F, and a built-in timer. I also wanted the fan/heating unit to be at the back (vs top) where it would pull heated air over all of the trays equally. This will speed up drying times and eliminate the need to rotate the trays. I ended up with two contenders that fit my requirements. If you look closely at the images, they are practically the same.

The STX International was $328. It had everything I required. 

The Yescom was $209 with a 5% off coupon. It also had everything I needed with two distinctions. It says only goes to 155 degrees F and the metal on the cabinet is just a tad thinner. With it having the same wattage, I did not blink too much at the temperature difference. Many people are saying that the pricier models are not reaching the stated temperatures. They are proving this with thermometers. The Yescom I purchased is getting to 165 F in my kitchen (which is closed off from our living areas when I am doing anything that generates a lot of heat), or 10 degrees warmer than it claims, so I am plenty happy! I do not know if it will reach this temperature in winter as my home is kept fairly cool. Even with the metal being a bit thinner, the unit weighs 38 pounds. 


dehydratororder

For the new home food preserving friends I have been making, do a search in the blog for pressure canning, dehydration, tallow or lard rendering, water glassing, etc. That should get you started on some happy adventures. May the Lord bless you as you take care of your households.