Saturday, July 24, 2021

Heavily Laden

pears2 
Look how low the branches were drooping.
This tree is one from which I take cuttings to root so I can share and sell.

pears1
The "ding dong deer" were not only nibbling on the fruit, but they started eating the leaves as you can see on this naked length of the branch. We have a herd of five that will walk right up to our deck. They are not very shy around us.

Earlier this year towards the end of winter, Caleb walked outside while looking at his phone. When he lifted his head, he realized he was next to the four deer. They realized he was there about the same time. Caleb jumped and made a noise. One of the deer tripped and went head over heels while another ran straight into (and took out) a section of fence.

In the background of the bottom picture, you can see my original set of grapevines which are now being overrun by Japanese Wisteria. This is where many of our friend's grapevines originated. That wisteria is making me angry. I have not conceded.

So far, we have collected 12 five-gallon buckets of fruit with pears still on five trees. For those new to planting and growing fruit trees, pear trees are some of the easiest to grow and best-producing trees on a homestead. If you want to start growing your own fruit, I recommend starting with pears. 

A fungus invaded my pear trees a few years ago. I cured it with colloidal silver. Colloidal silver is worth the research if you are a gardener. Clint made our generator, and it has been cheap to make and a great help around our farm.

For gifts, I ask for fruit trees and similar because I know it will give me a return every year that I can use to bless my family and friends. I love fruiting trees, bushes, and vines for this reason.