Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Pressure Canning Up a Storm

So far this week, my three youngest girls and I have canned 128 pints of roast beef. Tomorrow, we will do at least 64 more. I hope to finish it with another 64 pints on Friday. 

I buy huge hunks of beef to save on the cost. All of the beef, potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery are cut up by hand in our kitchen. I almost all of that myself. I did not slow down to add up the pounds of vegetables, but it is a large amount. It's a labor of love to have "healthy fast food" on the shelves for the ones I love. I feel good knowing they are being fed healthy meals without preservatives, artificial colors or flavorings, high sodium, added sugar, and etc.

If you think that is a lot, divide that by nine family members and a few elderly neighbors. It does not last long in a family our size, but it keeps everyone well-nourished. I also give a few dozen jars away as Christmas gifts.

After this, I need to can some dry beans. It is so much cheaper to can them yourself. You add a measure of dry beans depending on jar size, seasonings (optional), and fill with water or broth. The beans cook in the canner and fill the jar. I open them when needed and dump them in the pot. This saves me from having to soak and cook them for recipes.

I hope to do some Turmeric Chicken Soup and maybe some of my infamous Nuclear Soup. Then, I will make some chicken pot pie filling and make and freeze some pie crusts for those. I hope to get enough sourdough bread baked this winter and early spring to last through our warm months. I will have an abundance of pork to preserve soon also. I am not sure what I will do after I reach those meal prepping goals. I am hoping I can fill the shelves enough before now and mid-December to keep everyone supplied until early spring. 

I am also deep cleaning, winterizing, building a shed, and cleaning out a huge shed. I am moving my rabbits from a colony approach to separate pens. I am closing down our garden (still getting produce as of today) and preserving that food. I have to go back and forth to help out at a couple of other houses. Homeschooling is in session. Winter clothing repairs and alterations are being made as I get time. The incubator hatches its last batch of eggs on November 8th. I am learning how to alter/fuse plastic with a heat gun. My feet hit the floor running, and I drop into the bed around 10. The days are quite full, and my heart is happy!

My love to all!