Tuesday, February 01, 2022

SCS First Grade Photo Answer

I am the girl standing next to the teacher. Mrs. Linda Jordan led me to a personal relationship with Jesus in that very class among those people 47 years ago. I am still friends with almost all of my classmates in this photo. 

I was the tallest girl in the class at the time, and I hated it. It drew attention I did not want. I was taller than most of the boys at the time too. Do you know how many times people told me I should play basketball? I was so thankful when the boys went through their growth spurts! Years later, my mother-in-law compounded my self-esteem issues when she outright laughed at what she considered my ridiculously large feet. I am very happy to report that all of those worries about being a giant woman with clown feet never came to fruition. :-D LOL I am an average and happy 5'7" and wear size 8 shoes (a size 9 in some). 

My first-grade teacher Mrs. Jordan died in 2009. Even her death served a greater plan. It was through her funeral that all of us started connecting with one another on Facebook where we are still ministering to and encouraging one another today. I know she would be very happy knowing that we came back together to agape love on and support each other.

"She served the Lord as a Christian elementary school principal for over 35 years at Great Hope Christian, Suffolk Christian, and Portsmouth Christian. She was a long-time member at First Baptist Suffolk and enjoyed her music ministry as choir director at Beech Grove UMC for the past 15 years. Her passion was leading children to a faith and knowledge of God. She has left a legacy of faithfulness to her calling and many have been inspired and impacted by her life." source

I did not find out until adulthood that, Mark M.,  the boy on the other side of Mrs. Jordan was my second cousin. He and I ran across each other when we were young teens and had a very nice conversation. By the time I knew he was related and went looking online for him, he was tragically no longer here... 

"Mark Gerald Massengill, 26, of the 1400 block of Planters Drive, died Thursday, Sept. 15, 1994. Mark was a member of Hillcrest Baptist Church and the College & Career Sunday School Class." source

I hope he and I will get to know each other in eternity. 

The boy by the sign with the light blue shirt is now a regionally known senior pastor of a church in Chesapeake. His parents are incredible ministry-minded people who also impacted my faith ...and still do today. 

I could tell you so many stories about the people in the photo. I don't have time for that, and I am sure you don't either. So, I'll sum it up into five words: 

"GOD is so very good!"

So, was your guess right about which one was me?