Friday, April 19, 2019

Giving Thanks for Hannah's Safety

copperhead2
 Only one row of scales under the anal vent: venomous!
Nonvenomous snakes have split scales below the anal vents.

Caleb said the gender was female.

copperhead
The very pretty copper color and hourglass pattern 
means bad news if you are bitten!

When we started going to the new location, I warned everyone in our group about snakes. I told our youngest children there would be different kinds of snakes than back home. I taught everyone places snakes like to hide and how to lift things away from their bodies for safety. 

In over 20 years, we have never seen a pit viper on our farm. The older generations tell us vipers don't like the salt water. I don't know if that is true, but I do know we have not seen one on our farm. The site we were working at is in close proximity to fresh water. 

Hannah and Emily were running circles around a building. The grass in this area was short, and in some places it is bare. It was mid-day. When Emily saw this adult female copperhead pull back its head, Hannah was only two feet away from it! Emily told Hannah to stop because there was a snake about to bite her. Then Emily told Hannah to move slowly backwards and go into the house to me. 

Emily came to me and told me what happened. She said the snake was not a black snake and looked possibly venomous. It was a type she had never seen before. My stomach dropped.

I yelled for Clint, who was wearing his thick canvas pants, and some others to grab tools. I warned everyone to be quiet, stay clear, and for those helping to closely follow Clint's orders. I grabbed my favorite KA-Bar Kurki machete and ran through the building and out the back door. Venomous snakes scare me, but I have my husband's back and look out for his best interests no matter the battle. He was already out there watching the snake from a few feet away while he waited for a tool to hold down the head.

It is interesting that most of our group could not see it even after we pointed to where it was in the short grass. It blended in with the ground that well! My theory is that it was moving from one section of forest to another and cut across the open area. Snakes are more active when the temperature is 72-85F, and it was 80 degrees. 

There was only one choice in this situation. It was too dangerous to throw it into the woods like we had previously with a black snake. 

Clint ordered me to stay clear because I was barefoot and wearing shorts since I had been working inside. He moved slowly until he was in position. Then he pinned the head down with a shovel and made very short work of it with the machete I tossed near him. I gave him a canning jar with a lid to put the head in for everyone's safety. The head was still trying to strike as he put it on the shovel and into the jar. 

Clint seized the moment to teach everyone about snake identification through the head, eyes, color, and scales below the anus. Everyone got a safe close up look of a pit viper. At least the life given served to educate many. Even the knuckleheads who didn't listen before were paying attention this time. 

We complimented Emily for keeping herself calm and getting her sister to safety. As Hannah shared the story with each person there, she mentioned that immediately obeying her sister kept her safe. Clint used this an an opportunity to share with our group how obeying God keeps us safe.

After it was over, we gave thanks as a group to the Lord for keeping Hannah, Emily, and the rest of us safe. Please join us in thanking the Lord for keeping us all safe and for allowing Clint to safely eliminate the threat. 

Hannah had some fear issues about going outside later. I told her the same God that kept her safe the first time would keep her safe again and she could trust in Him even though she was very afraid. She needed to do her part and be aware and stay out of the places snakes like to be. I also told her that she could call upon the Lord with confidence that He would answer. Her simple trust in God's Word about His protection set her free from the fear. She was good to go after that!

When Hannah arrived at home, she gathered all of the rubber snakes we have and checked each one's scales below the anal vent. She was upset that all of the manufacturer's only put one row of scales there. With her upset apparent, she showed every member of our family. "This is not cool! They are all venomous even though they look nonvenomous from the top. Someone needs to fix this!"


hannah


Hannah only weighs 70 pounds, and the area we were at is at least an hour and a half away from a hospital. One of Brandon's former professors has a horrible bowl shaped scar the size of a fist on his leg and walks with a cane due to the muscle damage from a copperhead bite he had treated very quickly. I am very thankful the Lord spared her from being bitten. 

Copperheads are the least venomous of the vipers in our region, but they often bite more readily than others and often strike more than once according to an ER doctor/snake bite treatment expert. The pain from them can last over a week and recovery can take weeks. The recovery can be complicated by serum sickness which was explained to me as a severe flu-type illness. Depending on the amount of venom per body weight, it can be four weeks before one feels near normal again. Some people die of copperhead bites. Thank You, Father God, for Your protection over my sweet H-Bug! 

Mothering can be very hard. After a scare for their safety, I want to hold my children and not let them go, but raising them according to my fears would be unhealthy for them and for me. I have to accept I am too weak to protect them from the many dangers lying in wait for them. Like Hannah, I have to call upon the Lord with confidence knowing He hears and responds to my pleas for my family's well being. Like Hannah, I have to place my simple trust in God's Word and set myself free from the fears we mothers often have for our loved ones. He is faithful and worthy of that trust. We can rest easy knowing He loves them more than we can ever comprehend.

Thank you to those who were praying for our safety. I did not have snakes in mind when I asked for those prayers, but one came. I ask for your continued prayers of protection over us. Please let me thank you by sharing how my family can pray for you through the email in the header.


Of one thing you can be certain, when we are shining the Light, darkness will put up a fight. -Wendy Asbell

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee.
Isaiah 26:3

Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the only one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6