Thursday, April 04, 2019

Salute

One of the most memorable moments of my trip was when I called out an old soldier by name. He turned to face me. 

We locked gazes. 

"Thank you for your service to our country. Men like you are why I was able to raise my children in freedom. I am truly grateful for your sacrifice."

He looked away and got ready to make light of it. Then he locked gazes with me again. 

Because I know the details of his physical ailments, I know the painful cost it was to him as he abruptly stood at attention and saluted me. 

He held the salute and said, "You're welcome, ma'am." 

Both of our eyes got a little misty as we looked at each other. 

He looked at the American flag I have flying at our group site, looked back at me, smiled, and went on his way.

I have thanked many veterans, but this one is by far my favorite encounter.