Friday, May 24, 2019

Helper Hannah and the $20 Oak Table

In February, I found a nice oak table that had a dark spot in the finish. After a quick test, I determined I could remove the finish and dark spot, so I purchased it for $20. In early April, I had a chance to get outside and work on it and a few other pieces.

hannahsandingwithme 
Hannah (10) gaining experience with an orbital sander on an oak table.

It slows a parent down to allow children to work with them, but the many benefits to the child's character, skill set, and the relationship it grows are well worth it. It also teaches parents the wonderful Biblical characteristic called patience. Young parents, working beside your children is not only good for them, it is good for you too!


  oaktable
The not quite, but almost finished result.

I wanted a one step rub on gel poly-stain, but I could not find one in the color I liked locally. Ever the experimenter, I mixed 1/3 stain to 2/3 poly. Again, ever the experimenter, I tried brushing it on, but it left bubbles. So, I rubbed it on like stain until it was evenly spread with no streaks , but, unlike stain, I did not rub it off. I really like the results. This table will serve my family well, and I won't cry too hard when it gets scratched or dented. 

Large families are rough on possessions which helps us parents keep our priorities straight. I have a very, very nice oak entertainment center that has a dark stain from a wet cloth being left on it while I was away. That was frustrating to me because I have reminded the family frequently not to leave wet cloths on wood. At least now they have an "object lesson" with the results staring them in the face daily. I've sanded it far more than it should have been trying to remove the ugly stain, but it is too deep. So, I am going to buy a piece of oak and put it on top with a pretty piece of trim and stain it to match. Having a large family frequently reminds one that souls and relationships are far, far more important than money or possessions.