Thursday, May 02, 2019

Sweet Little Maggie

maggiesweetheart
Sweet Magnolia Blossom
aka Maggie

Maggie is tiny but full of personality. In the winter, she gets closer to five lbs, but in the summer when she follows me outside, she gets down to around three pounds. She loves a car ride and goes with me most of the time. When she can't go, she gets upset with me. 

When I get home from an outing Maggie was not able to go on, she jumps up with her front paws on my calves repeatedly to let me know she's overjoyed I'm back. 

If I mention a bath, Maggie finds someone else's arms fast hoping for clemency. If I give her a piece of meat, she may not eat it right away, but she will guard it from what she considers the horrible cats. However, Maggie will eat it quickly, to the point she nearly chokes, if we call "kitty kitty!" She will allow Journey, a cat, to lie against her for a nap but only after Journey asks by putting her face slowly in front of Maggie's for approval. It's an interesting little ritual I've been able to witness a few times. I've caught her napping with our old lady cat a few times over the years too, but it is unusual.

She hides food in the strangest places forever trying to outsmart the cats. Cats are larger than she, so they vex her greatly especially when they steal her hidden food. If I fuss too hard at Maggie for not being nice to our "old lady cat," she won't sleep with me that night. She'll go bunk in one of the children's rooms.

Maggie housetrained effortlessly. As she grew, she taught herself to scratch on the door to let us know when she wants to go out or come back inside. If we do not move fast enough for her liking, she will bark her disapproval. 

Sunny spring days make Maggie bounce like a bunny through the yard. She does not like the clippers. They are the only thing she has ever bitten! 

Girly, Brandon's dog, is Maggie's best friend and they patrol our farm together. Twinkie, Amanda's dog, is a good friend to Maggie too. Maggie knows many words and is very smart, but poodles are known for being one of the smartest breeds.

She sleeps between Clint and I at night. If I am not feeling well and lay down in the middle of the day, she guards over me the entire time I nap. I'll go to sleep and wake up with her watching over me. About all she can give me is an early warning, but she has a good heart. 

OK, there's a bit more about Maggie for the young ones who asked about her after the last post about her. She really is quite a character! She's a fun dog to have even though she has been ridiculously spoiled by everyone in our family and some of our friends. Our whole family loves her! Maggie has been a big blessing in my life, and I enjoy having her with me.

Poodle coloring page