Thursday, May 09, 2019

the many blessings we receive after we obey

Love each other as God loves you, with an intense and particular love. 
-Mother Teresa

1 John 4:16: “And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them."
Ephesians 4:2: “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
1 Peter 4:8: “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."
John 15:12: “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."

1 Corinthians 13:13: “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
Those verses should be goals we work hard within ourselves to reach. It's very hard work in some circumstances and easier in others. As a Christian elder said to me, "The unity of believers is a three legged stool. It only comes with interaction based on love and forgiveness." Remove any one of those three and unity will not happen. Until we can love each other like this, we fall short of what God wants (commands!) from us. In simple words, we are sinning.

God has helped me forgive and then restored the friendship between a man who many years ago sexually assaulted me. He asked me to a school event. An adult was nearby and saw and did nothing. I was not raped, but that was because I hit him hard and fought him off. I hid my torn clothing and the marks on my body. I avoided him after that. His father had power and influence in the town where I grew up so I never told anyone until I told Clint after we had been dating for some time. 

I had not thought about this person for decades, and then, in the last few years, God kept putting him in my path and in my thoughts. I spent some time in prayer and then decided that even though I disliked what he had done to me, and it still made me feel violated, I cared more about his and his family's soul and wanted to make sure he had someone proclaiming Jesus in his life. I wanted to glorify God in this relationship even though it was difficult for me to do. Clint and my older children prayed for me and gave me their support.


I learned he already knew the Lord! Life had taught him some lessons, and he had changed. The man is genuinely sorry for what he did and has felt bad about it for a long time. I also learned what he did to me was directly related to the sinful way of thinking of women that had been passed down. If I had not reached out to him in obedience and with forgiveness I would have never learned of all of this! I would have never known how God changed his life nor would I have seen this wonderful miracle of relationship restoration! My relationship with him is still not what I would call easy for me, but it is getting better with time and online interaction. 

Since then, we have seen spiritual breakthroughs and stumbling blocks removed in both of our families! Long time issues have been resolved and prayers for our children have been answered! This is not the only relationship our immediate family has seen restored in the last couple of years either! 


God's love is the real deal, and because of a relationship with Him, we Christians are able to share His love with others even those who present us challenges and difficulties in loving them. The mighty work of God is breathtakingly beautiful! I am thankful I and my family have been able to witness this faith building, life changing miracle. What God asks of us is so very small compared to the many blessings we receive after we obey. 


If you do what it says, you will have God’s blessing. Never just listen to his teaching and forget what you heard. 

James 1:22-25b


For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
2 Corinthians 10:3-4

For I will proclaim the name of the LORD. Ascribe greatness to our God!
Deuteronomy 32:3