Thursday, May 30, 2019

Watching the Wildlife

deer

We watched this While-tailed doe raise her newborn fawn and then take on another very skinny and pathetic newborn. We assume from the night time hunting we heard and its poor condition that someone shot its mother. The little one was in horrible, horrible shape. It looked iffy for a couple of weeks and then gained weight like crazy and caught up to the other fawn this doe has.

raccoon2

I later caught this bandit, but I released him.
He was chill in the trap at first, and then he was quite irate!
When we let him go, he ran a ways, then he turned back and looked at us for a long time like he was thinking about coming back. He did! I'm still leaving him a meal now and then. The owner of the house does not mind him as long as he stays in his place. Update: He now has a lady friend.

turkeyhead

I have pictures of 10 and 12 wild turkeys together on this game cam.
I've been in the house alone with the door open to enjoy the breeze and almost had one walk inside with me. It was so calm when I let out my surprised cry, I honestly think it scared me more than I scared it. It walked off, stopped in the road, and watched me watching it for a long while. It came back the next day. There haven't been a lot of people here, so I think it was curious.

This isn't at our home, but the wildlife on this property is plentiful. The cameras are there for security, but the wildlife is very enjoyable to see. When we stay here, we wake up to beautiful, echoing bird songs. The home is near a road but surrounded by such a lush forest that we often feel like we are deep in the woods camping. The sound is so enchanting, we go outside and sit on the deck to listen while drinking our morning coffee. 

There are Canada geese, bobcat (one was found sitting on a grill nearby), fox, and coyote in this area too. I've seen a coyote crossing the road at this home and at ours. We just received a warning about a mama black bear and two cubs. I would so like to "see" them but don't care to "meet" them or the daddy. A local resident told us there was a recent confirmed sighting of a fisher cat too. Start this video at about 2:56 to get a good look at one of those unique mammals.