Monday, May 06, 2019

It's Been a Journey

scairdycat
There was an older kitten abandoned at a construction site I worked at last fall and early winter. I left food for her every time I checked on the property. She showed up on the trail cam at all hours of the day so I knew she had nowhere else to go. She had some scratches on her face too. 

I fed her for a good while figuring I'd give her a helping hand as long as I was visiting the place. She and the opossums would take turns eating from the pile of food I left in a doghouse. Over time, through the camera, I saw her gain weight, grow, and develop a pretty coat of fur. Her scratches healed.

Then, we were expecting dangerously low temperatures. With the wind crossing the water, the wind chills were going to be well below zero. I didn't want to leave her without better shelter, so I set out a trap and shortly had myself a cat. 

I had no idea how terrified this cat was of people's hands, feet, and faces. I had no idea of the challenge that awaited me in trying to undo whatever she had experienced. It took me many days and some fails to learn this scared creature's "language." I certainly had no idea how rewarding this journey would be. 

In many ways, this situation has mirrored one of my most treasured experiences working with abused animals. Yes, like Boo, this cat has bit me more times than I can count. Like Boo, I understand her and keep working with her because I see beyond the hurt and fear.

At the time I am writing this in early February, she is still skittish. I kept her in a crate in the middle of our den for a couple of weeks. During that time, I fed her well, gave her vitamins to correct any deficiencies, and wormed her. After she was comfortable with people being around her and would let us pet her a little, I let her out. As I expected, she quickly found a corner behind a couch and claimed it. 

At first, she only came out at night to eat and drink and use the litter box. Then she would come out a few feet and watch us when we were quiet. Then she started staying out for longer periods. When I'd return from a trip, she'd come out to let me know she was happy to see me. I started training her to come to me for a treat when she heard three finger snaps. We still have to mind how we move when she is out of her little hideaway. She will revert on bad days, but we are seeing steady progress.

Because I brought her here, I guess, she trusts me the most and a little more each day. She has not been a problem and has used the litter box perfectly. She obviously knew what a litter box was, so we think she was in someone's home for a while. She lets me pick her up and hold her for very short periods of time. 

Our pretty outdoor cat, Meg, died. This cat needed someone to see beyond the terror and to be kind, gentle, and patient. God takes, but He also gives, and gives, and gives. I am thankful God lets me work with hurting people and animals. Seeing Him restore what was broken is always so beautiful to me.

Update: Clint named her Journey. She has grown a little bigger but is still small. She has lost all fear of us most of the time. Something triggers her fear now and then though. She has become quite sweet and very outgoing. I thought we'd rehome her or let her join the mousing brigade on our farm, but Joshua, our 19 year old, has asked to keep her since she likes to sleep on him at night. Our old lady cat, Miracle, chose Joshua to be his human after Brandon moved to his home. Joshua cares a lot for Mirache and has become very fond of Journey. Miracle is not going to be with us much longer, so I think Journey may be a comfort to Joshua when that time comes. That greatly blessed my heart too. God gives and gives, and gives.

Everything good comes from God. Every perfect gift is from him. These good gifts come down from the Father who made all the lights in the sky. But God never changes like the shadows from those lights. He is always the same.
James 1:17