Thursday, July 25, 2019

A Thirsty Opossum

oppossum
pict from early spring


This one got in the trap for the umpteenth time in early spring. 

It was healthy and active with no signs of disease, but I could not open the trap alone. It was a very warm day for spring, but our springs are like that. We both got a little overheated while we waited for someone to assist.

Once we let it go, it didn't run off like normal. It looked hot. It walked a few steps, turned around slowly and looked at me. 


"Huh, that's never happened. Poor thing is overheated, I bet."

I grabbed a bottle of water.

Ready to run in case I wasn't reading its body language correctly, I poured the water in a container and pushed it to the opossum with a garden hoe. I had read it correctly; it was thirsty.

It drank for a few seconds and tipped over the water. Ugh! 

Then it looked at me again. Pretty smart for a furry.

I grabbed another bottle of water from the house. It waited patiently and watched me closely. I was going to pour it into the dish, but Clint arrived and asked me to let him do it since he was wearing thick canvas pants. 

It didn't give Clint any problems. The opossum drank and drank and drank without tipping it over that time.

Then it looked at us for a long time, turned around, and quickly ran off on its way. It was a special encounter. It gave us its trust, and we gave it water.

We caught it again a few nights later. It's not THAT smart.

We can tell the opossums apart at this place due to the markings on their backs.

The wildlife is not an issue at this property. It's the feral cats we are working to remove. Everyone involved wants the natural wildlife at this place to keep their home.