Tuesday, December 03, 2019

A Better Way to Donate Items

Four of our family members have worked for pay or as volunteers for different charities. Two of them were nationally known charities. Because of what we learned and witnessed, we do not support these places with financial gifts. We also do not donate items to thrift store charities until we have exhausted other avenues. As a result, we don't send much their way. 

We do still shop the stores when we want to find something at a good price for our family because they do help us save money. However, after learning what we have over the years, I personally prefer to give my unwanted items to another person. We try to give items directly to people we know who can put them to use or who will give them to someone who can. This helps their pocket book more than them having to buy it new or second hand. 

Limited on time, I have also put items or boxes of items at the end of our driveway with a sign that says "FREE" and a description of what is in the boxes. The longest I've ever had anything sit there was less than 48 hours. The fastest was the time it took for me to walk back to the house. My neighbors will take what they need and pass on the rest to people they know. I love knowing the items my family can no longer use are blessing many in our community.

A few years ago, I put unwanted items in a box and passed it onto a friend who took out what she could use and put in items she no longer wanted. Then it was passed to another person who did the same and so on. The box went through many hands. Everyone got some new items for free, and they got rid of unwanted clutter. The box can go back to the original person, or it can be sent to different people. The goal is to be a good steward of unwanted items while helping others. 

I know firsthand that many thrift store charities are not what they seem. I also know how much ends up in the garbage, gets rerouted and sold on ebay through a different venue, or is sold for pennies (literally) to staff and friends. Whatever it is that my family no longer needs, I'd rather see it be given freely to someone who can use it.