Saturday, December 28, 2019

Bethany's Toe

12/27: Bethany's toe is looking SO much better! The healthy part of skin took even though I didn't think it was possible. We cut the rest off with sterilized nail scissors. Comfrey salve came to the rescue again! Thank you Lord for plant medicine!

12/23: Bethany's toe opened up again today and is bleeding again. The flap of skin did not "take." We're going to do the same method of treatment that I did when I crushed my finger tip. 

Caleb asked his employer to give the nurse practitioner and doctor who treated Bethany a free meal. His boss said he would be happy to do it! Caleb also bought home lunch for the girls and I!

12/14/2019: The doctor called us last night to apologize to Bethany. She said Bethany had so much self control while being stitched that she (the doctor) forgot to offer her an Rx for pain meds. She said Bethany never flinched or complained! The doctor said she will call in a pain Rx if Bethany needs it.

Update 1:42 p.m.: The doctor put eight stitches in her little toe. Nothing important was damaged. She will need the crutches for a few days, and then she will be wearing a walking shoe to immobilize her toe to prevent her from tearing the stitches. Caleb is taking her to CFA to let her tell Joshua what happened, see some friends, and he is buying her lunch. He is a thoughtful and considerate big brother!

The doctor complimented me for my bandaging skills, for thinking of the bags to keep Bethany's foot dry, and for making Bethany use the crutches. She was so impressed with my first aid skills, she sent home a suture removal kit and said she knew I could handle taking them out myself if I wanted. I already have a kit and will save this sterile one for my traveling first aid kit.

Emily told me blood was in five rooms. I missed one because she cleaned it up for me.

Update 12:42 p.m.: I am answering all e-communications here since I am working on canning more. I asked Bethany for an updateShe has done a number on her toe. She's had more than one doctor consulting with her main doctor on how to help it heal. One of those says Bethany will need at least six stitches in her toe, and she will have to wear a boot to prevent her from curling her toes and tearing the stitches out. They have not put the stitches in yet. She and Caleb are in the exam room waiting together. I imagine it feels good to Caleb to be the observer instead of the patient for a change!

12/13/2019 11:08 a.m.: Brandon's dog got into the trash, and a large piece of glass found its way into the kitchen. It wasn't very visible. Bethany "kicked it" and nearly sliced the outside of her little toe off on it as she walked through. 

She's a do-er and not a complainer! I found her kneeling on the floor quietly trying to stop bleeding with one hand and cleaning up the puddles of blood with the other! She looked up at me and said, "Don't worry; it's not bad." I looked at her and said, "That is A LOT of blood, sweetheart. I have to look at your toe." 

It is deep, and it is possible it is to the bone. That explains the bleeding. The side of her toe isn't hanging on by much. I bandaged her with eight gauze pads and wrapped it in with rolled gauze. Then I put three plastic grocery bags over it in case she put her foot down by accident as she went to the car. It's muddy here.

While I bandaged her, Emily and Hannah lovingly got her ready to leave. Emily got her a sock and shoe for the good foot. Hannah brushed her hair. 

Caleb grabbed the aluminum crutches and helped her into his car. Clint called ahead and faxed the necessary paperwork to the urgent care. Caleb is taking her so I could stay home* with the girls and clean up the floor in four rooms. It was looking like a horror movie in here. 

*I also have to meet with someone around 1 to 1:30 today too.